MAGAZON EBU / SBU SERIES
Magnetic particle inspection (mpi) benches
LARGE MPI BENCHES: EBU Series
SMALL MPI BENCHES: SBU Series
Baugh & Weedon Ltd is a trusted supplier of MPI equipment to the NDT industry. Their MAGAZON series of benches have a proven track record for reliability and durability, and are in daily use by most of the leading UK Aerospace companies. Designed and produced in Hereford, UK, the MAGAZON series offers testing for components of all sizes that require substantial magnetizing currents.
The benches are available in varying sizes, a wide range of magnetizing modes and current waveforms with a variety of accessories and ancillary equipment. Their design allows the freedom to build benches to individual specifications offering the optimum combination of technical and commercial satisfaction.
- Heavy-duty framework fitted with a stainless steel drain tank.
- The frame design usually allows the power pack to be mounted integrally.
- Alternatively, the power pack can be housed in a separate cabinet.
- Bed bars support a fixed position headstock and movable tailstock, and are mounted in the tank.
- Ease of movement as the tailstock has sintered phosphor bronze bearings and is fitted with a simple lock.
- The head and tailstocks are equipped with test piece supports and easily replaceable copper mesh contact pads.
- Pneumatic clamping prior to magnetizing is operated by a footswitch.
- On the Magazon SBU, the clamping pressure can be reduced, which affords protection to delicate components. A small piece device can also be fitted, which provides rotation of the component for easy viewing.
- For heavier test pieces support rollers mounted on the bed bars are available.
CONTROLS & METERING
Instrument controls and digital ammeters are on an eye-level console located above the headstock. Digital metering is standard on all units and can be calibrated to display the output current in PEAK, RMS, or 2xMEAN. Two meters are provided, each with independent control. One meter displays HEAD current, and the other displays FLUX/COIL current.
Selection of magnetizing mode, current waveform and shot time is by rotary switches. Indicator lamps show power ON and READY, while illuminated push-buttons allow initiation of magnetizing and demagnetizing cycles. Each console is populated in accordance with the options provided on the particular unit.
The MAGAZON EBU and SBU Series has a universal, microprocessor based, electronic system which allows many additional features to be incorporated.
• Current pre-selection. The required current level once selected is automatically achieved when the magnetizing “shot” is initiated.
• Built-in memory. An integral memory will store up to 99 sets of data including all test parameters for each component. This feature is extremely useful when testpiece batches are small, and frequent changes are needed.
Magazon SBU, a nominal 2500 A power pack provides AC, with HWDC (half wave rectified) and single phase, or 3-phase FWDC (full wave rectified) waveforms as options.
Magazon EBU, nominal 3000A or 5000A AC power packs are standard, though alternative options are available subject to technical appraisal.
The provision of HWDC (half wave rectified) or FWDC (full wave rectified) waveforms can also be accommodated. On standard models infinitely variable current control is achieved using thyristors resulting in a complex current waveform. However, where a sinusoidal waveform is required for compliance with some test specifications, the option of variable transformer control is available for both the Magazon SBU and EBU.
PRODUCTION LINE OPERATION
In a high volume production line, component throughput is vital and can be a limitation on output. Two further options are available with a standard MAGAZON Series bench to provide increased inspection
Multi-directional magnetizing or “Swinging Field”
Allows two magnetizing circuits to operate simultaneously, eliminating the need for multiple “shots”. Defects in any orientation are highlighted in a single operation and consequently only one viewing is necessary.
Provides a degree of automation which can be selected depending on the application. A semi-automated sequence would limit operator involvement to loading the testpiece, initiating the cycle and unloading. The normal sequence of clamping, inking, magnetizing and unclamping can be achieved automatically. During this time the operator is able to inspect the previously magnetized component.
INK APPLICATION & INSPECTION
The MAGAZON Series is suitable for use with either kerosene or water based magnetic particle inspection inks. Ink is applied to the testpiece by a manually controlled spray or from an overhead shower with timed control related to the magnetizing shot. Excess ink drains to a separate free standing stainless steel reservoir, fitted with an integral pumped recirculation system which maintains the particles in suspension.
The inking system is a self-contained unit with its own controls mounted on the reservoir to assist emptying and cleaning. Where fluorescent inks are specified, inspection conditions are critical. To satisfy specified lighting requirements ultraviolet lamps and a viewing canopy are available. The free standing canopy consists of a metal frame covered in a heavy flame-resistant material with front opening curtains, and can enclose sufficient area to include an inspection station or a supply of testpieces. The canopy has an extractor fan, white light and power point for the ultraviolet lamp, fitted as standard.
• Encircling Coils. A range of interchangeable encircling coils is available. The coil carriage is track mounted at the rear of the bench and is adjustable in height. It can accommodate coils with internal diameters between 300 mm and 600 mm while maintaining the centre of the contact pads in line with the coil centre. Head and tailstock design allows coil “parking” behind the faceplate affording clear access to a testpiece. If the coil is not in use it can be folded back, out of the way. Either round or square split coils, mounted directly to the bedbars, can also be supplied.
• Flux Coils. Magnetizing coils with laminated cores built into the head and tailstock provide the magnetic flux for “Flux Flow” or “Mag Flow”.
• Special Coils. Alternative coils to meet special applications can be supplied, either mounted on the bench if space permits, or on a separate free-standing frame. These include spiral or “pancake” coils, encircling coils with laminated cores and split coils, or knife switch coils, with a turntable to rotate the testpiece.
• Remote magnetizing. Components which are difficult to load because of their size or shape can be magnetized off the bench. Output sockets allow the bench power supply to be connected to prods, leeches or wrapped cables.
• Testpiece Supports. V-block supports are fitted to the head and tailstock as standard. Adjustable support rollers fitted to the head or tailstock, or mounted on the bed bars, can be supplied. A small piece device affords protection to delicate components is also available..
PORTABLE MAGNETIC PARTICLE INSPECTION BENCH
The PBU 350 Portable Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Bench Unit offers great MPI performance teamed with the outstanding quality that Baugh & Weedon is renowned for. With a long rich history of designing and building MPI benches of all sizes, it is fitting that we have added the portable bench option to our range.
As well as the key features, there are various aspects of the PBU design that set it apart in the marketplace. There is the ability to add an inking system to the unit offering maximum flexibility to the inspector. The PBU uses a gas spring to provide the clamping pressure on the headstock that ensures optimum electrical contact with the component under test. We have developed the coil to offer bi-directional clamping allowing the coil to be manually rotated at 90o for maximum inspection flexibility. Finally, the PBU has Current Pre-Selection (CPS) built into the machine, saving time and
Ensuring accuracy when magnetizing the test component.
• Built for 110 VAC with 220 VAC as an option
• Clamping Length up to 13 Inches
• Working Range 100 to 1000 Amps
• Current Pre-Selection System
• Stainless Steel Construction
• Compact with Integral Power Pack
• Simple, Easy-To-Use Controls
• AC / HWDC magnetizing
• Shot Time Selection Available
• Demagnetization Cycle
• Gas Spring Pressure on Headstock
• Manual Locking Tailstock
• Current Flow – Copper Braid Contact Pads & V-block Supports
• Coils – Can Be Made To Client Specifications
• Optional Flux Flow
• Footswitch for Ease-Of-Use
Current Waveforms: AC, HWDC as standard with Single Phase FWDC as optional
Dimensions: 32 inches x 22 inches x 15 inches
Output Current Flow: 100 – 1000 AMPS AC RMS. HWDC – 700 AMPS (2 x mean
Power Input: 110V supply input. 220V available. Nominal 1000 Amp integral power pack
Max Component Length: Up to 13 inches
Metering: Digital metering calibrated in AC RMS and HWDC 2 x mean.
Contact Pads: 2 inches x 2.4 inches Braided Copper Pads
Clamping: Headstock with spring pressure clamping and manually locked tailstock
Coil Option: 6 inches Diameter 3 turn Copper Coil or to suit your application requirements
Flux Flow Option: Coils in Head & Tailstock powered by FWDC – max output 20000 Amp Turns
Demag Cycle: Automatic demagnetisation cycle (decaying AC)
Weight approximate 176 lbs
Calibrated: Traceable Calibration with Certificate
Shot Time Selection: 1, 2 & 2×1 second (other options available)
Dual UV & White light meter
The LumaCheck Dual UV and White Light Meter has been designed to offer the user the most accurate results and versatile calibration options available on the market. The LumaCheck is a unique system
design, since it is the Sensor that stores the calibration details, not the Instrument itself, meaning that only the Sensor needs to be sent for calibration subject to the standards that your facility operate in
accordance with. This allows the unit of the LumaCheck to be “hot-swapped” with another sensor
and remain in continuous use.
• Excellent Results Accuracy
• Dual Sensor
• Interchangeable Sensor allows the LumaCheck to operate continuously.
• Lightweight and Compact.
• Battery Operated
• Ergonomic design with rubber boot
• Full colour programmable display
• Separate probe and separate cable for convenience abnd lower replacement cost
The LumaCheck not only has a detachable Sensor Head, but also offers a detachable cable too, allowing all aspects of the LumaCheck to be interchanged. If the operator has two Sensors with the LumaCheck, this interchangeability means that operators need not be without a functional light meter during calibration.
The LumaCheck is housed in an extremely robust and high quality casing and as an exclusive Baugh & Weedon design. The LumaCheck comes as a complete kit. It comes with the following as standard: LumaCheck Unit, Sensor Head, Sensor Cable, Blue Rubber Boot, 2 x Non-Rechargeable AA Batteries, Carry Case, Quick Reference, Guide and the LumaCheck Manual.
The Lumazon and Lumazon SL are dual LED UV and White Light Inspection Lamps for Magnetic Particle and
Dye Penetrant Inspection. LED technology offers improved output, extended operating lifetime, greater
efficiency due to instantaneous operation (no warm-up time) and financial savings from not requiring
expensive replacement bulbs. Two switches and a trigger are included on the Lumazon. The trigger acts as
the ON/OFF switch and adjacent to this is a ‘hold’ switch to maintain UV or White Light output in a constant
manner. The other switch on the rear selects UV or White Light output.
• LED Operation, with long operating life
• Lightweight and compact
• Switch between UV and white light
• Meets UV and white light criteria for NDT
• High UV output
• Low power consumption
• Warning light when there is a potential
drop in output as battery poutput
reduces. (Lumazon only)
With the exception of the trigger functionality, the Lumazon SL offers the same great features as the
Lumazon hand-held inspection lamp. Designed to be mounted to a bench, the Lumazon SL is fitted with an
articulated arm, which allows the operator to freely position the lamp where it is needed. Offering instant
output of more than 4500 μW/cm2 (micro watts per square centimetre), the Lumazon SL is an ideal
alternative to existing static lamps on MPI benches or in inspection viewing booths.